Applesauce

I spent Saturday running errands and then came home and cooked. Most of it was easy things that you can sort of heat and ignore, at least for awhile: Iced tea, hard-boiled eggs, applesauce. I also made a pumpkin pie. It came out a little too sweet so I'll use less sugar next time, but it's not bad (I just used the recipe on the can label, plus extra spices).

Homemade applesauce is addictive. I like even jar applesauce, but homemade is one of those things that you can never stop eating. And it's easy. And I get to use the apple machine. The apple machine is more fun than any basic kitchen appliance should be.

Jonagolds were on sale and they make terrific applesauce because they're sweet-tart and the flavor holds up well. I used some Galas that were getting a little old in the produce drawer, a little lemon juice, and a shot each of ground ginger and cinnamon. Then I cooked it on "low" until it all turned to pulp. I don't even run mine through the applesauce masher--if it's got chunks, you know it's made from real apples, right? I keep meaning to try mixing peaches or cranberries or something into it, but I always end up eating the whole batch before I get around to it.

Comments