Guitar soft case repair

 I've had this guitar soft case for 25 years.  When it was made, the lining didn't get caught in the zipper seam so there was a gnarly frayed edge and the foam padding showed through.  I tried gluing it just to keep it from getting worse, but you can imagine how well that worked.

I'd just get a new one except I painted this with t-shirt paint and don't want to give it up:


It finally occurred to me to order some 1" nylon twill tape (shout out to The Rain Shed LLC!):


I sewed the tape by hand to the zipper tape:

One side done:

And then whipstitched the other side to the lining to cover the gap where the fabric hadn't caught.  It worked beautifully!  

I cannot figure out why I didn't think to do this years ago.  It's so great to have it fixed:

None of my pets has ever paid this case half a second of attention but, inevitably, as soon as I needed to spend handwork time on it, the cats fought me for it:






Comments