Egg and Rice

Okay, this is one of my favorite lazy meals. Makes a good breakfast, or a good quick lunch or dinner.

The basics:
1 egg
1/3 - 1/2 cup leftover cooked rice (I use brown rice, but it doesn't really matter. You could probably use barley, quinoa, or some other grain, or even couscous or orzo, instead, but I haven't tried it.)

Embellishments (about 1/2 cup, total):
diced onion (you can sautée this a little first in your pan if you want it more cooked.)
ham or a little sausage, diced
Leftover shrimp or fish, chopped
tomato, seeded and chopped
chopped green onions
chopped meat (I once used leftover smoked brisket, which was awesome)
tofu
bean sprouts
chopped vegetables
. . . whatever sounds good.

Mix ingredients in a bowl, then cook them in a frying pan, stirring like you would for scrambled eggs. It will come out dry, more like fried rice than an omelet. I like it a little bit browned.

I also like it with pepper sauce.


Anna M. says that this is called "arroz montado" ["mounted rice", if my middle-school Spanish hasn't totally failed me] in Peru (her fiance is Peruvian), and that they usually just fry an egg sunny-side up, put it on top of the rice, and cut into it so the yolk runs out. Close enough.

Cooking Louisiana illustrates Anna's version pretty well.

Comments