Lazy Knitting

I like knitting but suffer from laziness and lack of confidence. My most sophisticated knitting projects as yet have been diagonal dishcloths. Fun, but I've yet to venture beyond the realm of the square/rectangular.

I like the pattern Old Shale/feather-and-fan, which uses basic increases and decreases to create a wavy line.

Here is a proper Old Shale shawl.

Here's another nice one. I love the colors. Yes, they're very Seventies, but oh, well.

However since I am lazy, find that purling makes my left hand ache, and like things to be reversible, this is how I do it. I am a fan of "knit all"; garter stitch is really a pretty good idea--it's easy, and it doesn't curl up.

Cast on however many stitches you want in a number that is a multiple of four.

Row 1: Knit all.

Row 2: Knit 2, *[Knit front and back] four times, [knit 2 together] four times*, knit 2
(repeating the part between the asterisks until you get to 2 stitches from the end.).

Row 3: Knit all.

Repeat those three rows until your scarf/shawl/whatever is as long as you want it. This doesn't have the open spaces in it that the proper version does because in increases with a knit-front-and-back instead of a yarnover, but it will still give you a nice wavy pattern with minimal effort. It looks great in variegated yarn or in stripes (like when you're using up odds and ends from other projects).

Comments