New shawl


I'm not going to have anything worth posting on this for awhile because I can tell already that it's going to take me forever to finish . . .

I made a shawl a couple of years ago to wear to historical reenactments, using some black and natural-gray Icelandic wool inherited from my grandmother. Seven broad bands (one ball per band, basically) of alternating black and gray; I think I used a US 12 or 11 circular needle and the yarn roughly worsted/Aran/4 weight. Maybe a fluffy worsted weight. In an alternating knit 2/purl 2 pattern. Made a nice, warm, shawl, but the yarn sheds like crazy. Sheds worse than my American Eskimo dog, Diamond, which is just wrong. Nothing should shed more than she does.

It's also kind of dull.

Hobby Lobby is a dangerous place: They have raw materials for all kinds of crafts and activities, and they have regular sales. Sales on things like yarn.

The next shawl is going to be boring old garter stitch, but in stripes--I'm thinking about 4-5 inches wide--of deep teal (Lion Wool) and rust red (Hobby Lobby I Love This Wool!, which appears to be a new product. 90/10 wool/acrylic, but I don't think they advertise it on the website. Check it out. It seems pretty nice, but then nobody ever accused me of being a yarn snob), with a narrow stripe of goldenrod (also I Love This Wool!) between each set of teal and rust. I'll take a picture of them to post when I get home. The needle is a U.S. 7 36-inch circular; I like the gray-painted aluminum Susan Bates Quicksilvers, which are inexpensive but just slightly less slippery than the ubiquitous shiny Boye aluminums. I find nylon and bamboo needles tend to snag too much on the yarn for my taste.

I like big shawls. The hairy Icelandic shawl is 28 x 70, which is a good size. The striped one will be a little bigger; closer to 35 inches wide. The gauge swatch came out to 15 stitches = 3.5 inches in garter stitch, which is looser than stockinette.

Comments