Marian Martin 9359, take II

I need to upload some new pictures, big-time.

The upshot is that the dress was completed successfully, with the exception that the front shoulder yoke was inexplicably too long along the inside (neck-side) edge. I didn't foresee this: I assumed that since I was leaving out the shoulder pads, it would droop at the outside (arm-side) end, not near the neck. However, my boss--who also sews--confirmed that if I simply folded a large wedge in the yoke piece, it appeared that my fitting problems would be solved.

So I went home and did just that, folding a good inch out of the neck edge of the yoke piece, tracing it, and re-cutting it. I used that for the second version of the dress, made from the rust-colored calico I got at the shop where I got the blue fabric. I also took about an inch out of the center front panel, since the pattern was actually about a half-size large but fit OK across the back (I'm a bit broad through the back).

Problem solved. It was an easy fix and the second dress fits like a charm. It even managed to keep some of its crisp 1940's shoulder line despite not having shoulder pads.

Comments