Vacuum cleaner rant

That does it: If I ever own my own home, the first thing I'm going to do is rip out all the carpet. I don't care if that means I have to live with plywood floors. No more carpet.

I grew up with an Electrolux canister vacuum, which I always thought was a bear to drag around, especially after the handle broke and could not be replaced.

My mother was reluctant to get rid of the thing but since she's not the one who vacuums, she finally caved in and let my dad pick out a new vacuum cleaner. He got a bagless upright.

We should have kept the Electrolux.

Bagless vacuums, pardon the pun, suck. Cleaning out that goddamned filter is way worse than emptying a bag.

Upright vacuums are even a bigger pain in the ass when vacuuming stairs than was the canister. To make matters worse, the upright does not have a retractable cord. Who makes a vacuum cleaner that doesn't have a retractable cord?? Now I need three hands to vacuum--one to run the cleaner, one to move things as I go, and one to unwrap and re-wrap the cord so I don't run it over or pull it out of the wall socket.

The worst thing is that it has a dirt sensor. Red to orange to green. I have pets--my carpets are Level Red all the way through. I'm depressed. And grossed out. And newly converted to anti-carpet status.

Comments

Jen O said…
well, at least you have validated my old electrolux now tossed into the car trunk, off for repairs. everyone belittles me for owning it, but i have yet to find one better!
Anonymous said…
I hate my vacuum cleaner too. I bought one of those with the special brushes for pets. It's so heavy, I need a pack mule to carry it around. I put off using it as long as I can, but with Corgis that's about two seconds!
Try a Dyson. I got mine when I got new carpet. Yes, it is bagless, but emptying the canister is a snap (literally) and you won't believe how dirty your carpets are until you try one of these! The hose on mine extends 30 feet, so I can make it all the way up the stairs while the unit sits at the bottom! They even have a model especially for homes with pets! (PS: I was not paid or given any gratuity to make leave this comment :) )
50sgal said…
I just found you. I have always been obsessed with vacuums and now, living in 1955 this year, my vacuum had to fit. So, I have a Kirby from the late 50's with every attachement you can imagaine. It is a bagged upright, but the bag is not throw away, it has a separate compartment that you take out and empty and can wash. It is very 'green' in todays standards, but boy oh boy does it work! It sounds like a jet when I start it but it has amazing suction and works a treat. It seemes to been well thought out and designed for the homemaker and not full of 'gadgets' like todays vacuum as you mentioned the light that tells you how full it is. I mean we are not idiots, right? My Kirby allos me to easily remove the handle and put on a little strap that goes over my shoulder so it becomes a portable that is light weight and hangs on my like a pocket book so I can go about doing drapes or easily carry it up and down stairs getting all the little dust bunnies. Sometimes, I am finding, 'recycling' what was made well and strong in the past, is a good way to live now!
It's not the canister, it's the filters that drive me crazy. They're expensive, so I have to clean them out, which sends dust flying. Aargh.