Housedress rant


My sassy wrap housedress is cuter than your pajama pants!

I recently ran across this interview of Elda Danese, author of The House Dress: A Story of Eroticism and Fashion, which I am dying to read but haven't gotten ahold of yet.

I found it rather insulting, really.

I feel now like I need to campaign more for housedresses in their own right. I'm irritated that such a comfortable and practical item of clothing is being snubbed because of past associations.

They're cuter than sweats. Woven cotton is much cooler and more comfortable than T-shirt knits and jeans in our hot, humid, Southern summers. They're easy and convenient--no matching tops and bottoms, just throw it over your head and go.



Admit it: You'd rather throw this on than any threadbare T-shirt.

I make my own from old patterns, which means I can choose better-quality fabric and finish all the seams so they don't fall apart after three washes. I've never gotten a negative reaction. Older women get nostalgic; younger women want to know where I got that dress. I'm sure Ms. Danese would think home-sewing was another example of domestic entrapment, but I insist that knowing how to do something well is never undignified.

I'm absolutely shocked at how flimsy store-bought clothing is these days. Everything looks like it's made of cheesecloth.

(Boy, do I sound old or what?)


Comments

Alyssa said…
Can we see pictures of ones you've made?
I love the patterns, but I'm always afraid they'll come out frumpy. I think I got this bias from seeing my oldy oldy great-aunt wearing Lanz all the time, but I'm thinking in the spring maybe I will make one.
And yes, I agree-working in a clothing store has made me realize how poorly everything is made.
Yeah, they're frumpy. I guess. Although people still seem to think they're cute.

Marian Martin 9358, two versions.

Simplicity 4015.

McCall's 2440. This is the most housedressy by my standards since it is the least complex, although at the time they were printed all of these were housedresses.

I'm currently working on Seattle Times 2224, which is more smock-ish.

I also recently acquired Grit 3033, which is technically a nightgown, and Courier Journal 2903, which is more of what I'd call a bungalow apron (between a nightgown and a housedress; not sleepwear but too informal to wear on errands, as one might a housedress), which I'm anxious to make up.

The calico dresses shown here are made from a heavily-altered commercial shift dress pattern and are really my everyday throw-on dress. The concept is similar to the 1920's One Hour Dress. It requires less fabric and is easy to make, but less flattering.
Alyssa said…
I love the fabric you're using in the Seattle Times one. None of yours come off frumpy, so maybe I'll make one when I find the time.