Spinach-Feta Kugel Patty

I say "mini" because I always make this in single servings. This isn't really a kugel, either, but it sort of resembles one. You know: Eggs, cheese, noodles. Okay, maybe more of a noodle omelet?


Frying pan (I used an 8-inch cast iron)
oil
Fresh-ish spinach, torn into pieces, about 1/3 cup
Feta cheese, finely crumbled, about 1/4 cup, or to taste
Leftover noodles, 1/3-1/2 cup (I used angel hair, pulled apart into 4-6 inch lengths)
1 egg

If you're not using a nonstick pan, heat a small amount of oil in the frying pan. I used about 2 teaspoons and put the stove knob in the middle of medium-low. When the oil is heated and thinned, spread it around to coat the pan, using a pancake flipper or some similar instrument (non-metal is better for Teflon and cast iron pans).

Put all ingredients in a bowl or mug. Combine. Be sure to distribute noodles, cheese, and spinach as evenly as possible; lift the noodles apart with a fork and turn them rather than just stirring to make sure everything is coated well with egg.

Turn mixture out into pan and pat into patty. Cover with a lid of some sort to make sure it cooks through before the bottom burns. If your pan doesn't have its own lid, cover it with a flat cookie sheet or something. I use an old pizza pan because I'm too cheap to buy a proper lid for my pan.

Let cook a few minutes until the egg is visibly setting up on the top of the patty. Lift and turn.

Comments