Strawberry Breakfast Bread

I realized I had too much fruit in the fridge and would probably cause serious gastric distress if I tried to eat it all, so I started looking for things to do with it that I might be able to either share or freeze.

I got the original recipe from Texas Temptations (Texas Extension Homemakers Association, 1993, page 31), which is part of my totally-excessive library of cookbooks, but similar recipes are all over the internet. They all seem to require three cups of flour, two cups of sugar, and at least a cup of oil. I don't know about you, but that seems like an awful lot of oil and sugar to me. "Greasy" is not quite the same as "moist". I don't like it when bread leaves a film on my fingers.

I thought the results of the recipe adaptation were plenty sweet. Not ragingly, tooth-achingly sweet, but as sweet as anything needs to be and still be classified as "bread" and not "cake." It would be good with some strawberry cream cheese or drained yogurt.

I think this would make awesome muffins. It also freezes exceptionally well. I thawed the second loaf out and it tasted fresh-baked after two months in the freezer, wrapped in Saran wrap and aluminum foil.

I may try this again after I do some baking research. It's very dense and still oilier than I'd like.

* * * * * * * * *

The original:

Strawberry Nut Bread
Makes two loaves.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup oil
2 cups strawberries, thawed and sliced
1/2-1 cup pecans

Combine dry ingredients. Add oil, eggs, strawberries, and pecans. Stir until batter is moist. Spoon into two well-greased 9 1/2 x 3 loaf pans and bake at 300 degrees for 60-70 mintes. Do not overcook. This recipe is also good for bananas, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin. Freezes well

* * * * * * * * *

Here's my version

Strawberry Breakfast Bread
Makes two loaves.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

3 cups flour (I used 2 cups all-purpose and 1 cup whole-wheat.)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup oil (This may get changed. It's still kind of oily.)
3/4 cup buttermilk (The powdered stuff is fine.)
2 generous cups strawberries (Mine were fresh strawberries, chopped.)

Combine dry ingredients. Add strawberries and toss. Add egg yolks, oil, and buttermilk (or buttermilk powder and water). Stir until just mixed; don't overwork the buttermilk. Beat egg whites until light and foamy, then fold into batter. Spoon into greased loaf pans and bake 60-70 minutes.

Comments