Easy Savory Sweet Potatoes

I thought for the longest time that I hated sweet potatoes. I actually felt a little guilty about this since so many people seem to like them, and they're good for you, and I generally like vegetables and starches. The first time I ate them was in pie, which I didn't realize was sweet potato pie; I thought it was pumpkin pie with NutraSweet, and that really put me off them.

It turns out, I just don't like sweet potatoes with sugar on them. This should have been obvious since I already didn't like three-bean salad, honey mustard dressing, and other instances of sugar-on-vegetables, but it took me 30 years to figure it out.

2 medium sweet potatoes
1 medium onion (I like white or yellow onions)
a little oil
salt and pepper

Scrub the potatoes. I don't peel them. You can if you want, but I think peeling stuff that doesn't actually need to be peeled is a lot of extra work for nothing. Besides, peel is good fiber.

Cut potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Whatever you consider to be bite-sized. One-inch-ish.

Put the cubes in a pot, cover them with water, and boil them briefly. You don't need to cook them completely, you just need to get them started. This will only take a few minutes so be careful not to overcook them.

While you're boiling the potatoes, heat a little oil in a heavy pot or frying pan. I use 1-2 tablespoons in a well-seasoned cast-iron pan.

Quarter the onion and then slice it thinly (or not. However you like your onion). Fry until the onion is clear and maybe a little golden or brown. Again, your choice.

Drain the sweet-potato cubes well and add them to the frying pan. Move them around to combine them with the onion and finish cooking them. They'll break up but they shouldn't be gruel if they haven't been overcooked and have been drained enough.

Season to taste. I could see a pinch of cayenne in this if you wanted a little more bite.

I've never tried freezing them, but if you put them in the fridge they reheat just fine.

Comments