Dress dawdling


Sleeve re-draft 1
Originally uploaded by Little Black Car
I meant to get a whole lot of sewing done this week but it's not happening. I don't know where my evenings go: I get home, eat dinner, walk the dog, do some cleaning, and--boom!--it's time for bed. I've been trying to walk myself more, like I used to, but since I can't combine dog-walking and self-walking, it takes extra time. (My dog is fourteen years old and, for her, "walking" is more about catching up on the neighborhood, as my dad calls it, "p-mail" than about aerobic exercise.)

The deal is that I need to enlarge the armscyes and both enlarge the sleeves and change their angle. I raised the shoulders slightly when I cut the dress out (I have square-ish shoulders, and this pattern seemed to have extremely sloped shoulders anyway), so I just need to cut out more along the bottom of the armscye.

The sleeve will be a bigger project. I need to make the whole pattern wider, and I also need to lower the sleeve cap and change the shape, probably, to make it less of a bell curve. We'll see. I'm not above cutting test sleeves and basting them in. I'm sure there are more effective ways to do this but at least I ought to learn something.

I couldn't find my pattern alteration books so I printed these 1942 directions. Of course, once I'd done that, I went home and found the copy of Sandra Betzina's Fast Fit that I'd been missing. >>Forehead slap!<< href="http://www.scottbiram.com/">Scott Biram and Darren Formerly of the Weary Boys Hoff & the Hard Times are at the Continental Club. I haven't been out in a while, so it looks like it's going to be a late night. I do want to sew on Saturday, though; we might go to Galveston on Sunday and it might be fun to have a new chicken dress to wear.

Comments