Simplicity 5365 (1972): Chicken Little

(Note: I cannot believe I didn't set up the "blog this" function earlier. Doh! This might single-handedly resolve my blog-neglect problem.)

This 1972 zip-front housedress--they call it a robe--is on the chopping block cutting table as of Saturday, May 15, 2010, hopefully to be finished in time for me to wear it this summer (I know, I know--I shouldn't have to plan that far ahead for such a basic dress).

The Flickr project set is here.

I was only able to get three fat quarters of that divine chick fabric, so I'm going to have to be creative. The pockets and the collar will be chick-print. Well, probably only the top side of the collar; the underside will have to be plain red. I might make a square neck, too, instead of the collar. Collars are sort of fussy, especially when they are 1970's DC-10 wingspan collars.

It calls for a 22" zipper which, if you look at the illustration, unzips it practically all the way down. I got a 14" one instead. I'm using the drawstring waist but lowering it an inch to make it less maternity-dress-like (and also because I'm long-waisted and have more room to spare below the bust than most women).

I look pretty dumb in puffy sleeves so I'll probably borrow the plain short sleeves from Marian Martin 9359, which I have already made twice and whose sleeves I know will fit me. I may change the angle of them a little, though, to make them less vertical.

This might involve yellow gingham ribbon trim, too, to make it look more intentional and less like I just didn't have enough chick fabric and couldn't figure out how to use it. (Which is the truth, but I don't need to advertise it, right?)

I'm making the shorter version shown her in yellow and in blue gingham. I added an inch to the hemline as I was cutting it out, but I'll probably use less than the recommended 2 1/4-inch fold-over for the hem, anyway, to make it longer. Knee-length looks nice but it's hard to do anything in a dress that short without embarrassing yourself.

I also added a small amount of sweep to the side seams, amounting to about 3 inches along the hem circumference on either side. When I cut the back, I'll be cutting it in two pieces instead of along the fold, and adding seam allowance and a little flare down the mid-line seam, as well. I need more room over the hips. This will probably fit over my hips as-is but I suspect it might be a little close, and might hang up over my backside (sorry, TMI. My fellow pear-shaped ladies understand this, though).

Comments