Simplicity 8403 (1977) & Reality Check

I started Simplicity 8403 this weekend, with mixed results on the progress so far. Mixed progress not because of the pattern but because of some other craziness this weekend. I had a church meeting, and then yesterday my car decided to fake a broken ignition lock. I thought I was going to have to have it towed and then spend a lot of money on it, but Dad tried greasing the key, and it started just fine this morning. I think it just wanted Sunday off. Uh, oh--has my car found religion?

Luckily, I was staying in yesterday, anyway, to watch all the episodes of "Cold Case" I had stored up on the DVR, and sew. ("Cold Case" is a total vintage fashionista show, by the way. Vintage style . . . with bodies. Right up my alley.)

I did, actually, have enough fabric at least for the front and back panels and the sleeves, but I'd already gotten my heart set on black and red trim for the lower part of the skirt and the sleeves, so I'll have a bit of that adorable 1860's reproduction shirting print left over. I'm making the pockets and probably the zipper facing of plain muslin, too, which will save a little more.

The skirt trim was an adventure. It's one narrow red band (about 1 1/2 inches) and one wide black band (about 8 1/2 inches, before hemming). I winged it on this but the results were pretty good. I have pictures that I'll post as soon as I get them uploaded and resized.

(I swore this was going to be a simple project, but it seems that I just can't leave well enough alone and had to turn a dress that's so basic it doesn't even have bust darts--which makes me a little nervous, truth be told--into a big freakin' deal, just because I had to have contrasting panels on the skirt.)

The collar with be black and the inside zipper facing will probably be muslin, although I'd like to make it red if it doesn't show through the main fabric too much. It might not, since the shirting print is quite sturdy.

The belt will be black in the middle and have red ties, so that both colors show in the front.

* * * * * * * * *

On a less-fun note, I finally caved in an signed up for a calorie-counting website. Boo hiss.

I used to have a job that involved not only no sitting down, but almost constant motion. A coworker once wore a pedometer and discovered that she'd walked seven miles in an eight-hour shift, without actually leaving the building. Needless to say, we were all skinny. I was about 140 pounds (at 5'7"), which doesn't sound very thin, but is if you're on the sturdy-framed and muscular side, like I am. (I looked thin, too. I didn't think I was, but I look at pictures of myself then and I'm shocked. I was built like a whippet.)

I now have a job that involves a lot of sitting on my butt and, while I'm not fat, I'm definitely better-padded than I used to be. Sigh. Furthermore, I'm starting to size myself out of available vintage patterns. Now, I am no advocate for body modification for the sake of fashion, but there really is no good reason for me to be that big.

So I signed up for the My-Calorie-Counter.com, because it seemed simple and unobtrusive. I like websites that allow me to opt out of emailings. Calorie counting is depressing enough without getting emails about it all the time.

I have no idea how much I actually weigh. I was 167 pounds a year ago, so I'm assuming I'm around there, or slightly more. I'm calling myself 170 because I think that's a safe estimate. I haven't weighed myself because I'm not considering this a diet, since I am vehemently opposed to diets, so much as a reality check. As in, "Gee, half a packet of Peanut M&M's really is a reasonable serving," and "Coke is definitely a dessert, not a beverage." Besides, it also allows you to track, and get credit for, exercise, which I find is a significant motivator. Half an hour of brisk walking and I've earned myself an ice-cream sandwich!

It's also great for driving home the importance of fruits and vegetables. You can literally eat like a horse for very few calories and lots of vitamins.

Nevertheless, I'm tagging this as "tragedy," on principle.

Comments