Simplicity 8403 (1977)

I was all geared up to do American Weekly 3740 but the state of my office-appropriate dresses is getting to be pretty sad, so this one might have to be next.

It's a boring pattern, but it should be easy and fast, and I probably should make at least a few things that aren't so eccentric. (American Weekly 3740 is going to be bright yellow with red and green trim, which means it fails the eccentric test before it's even been sewn up.)

I almost set the print fabric, which I adore, aside for another, more interesting, dress, but I'm not sure I actually have enough of it for an entire dress body, so the sleeves and lower skirt will have a wide black section and red bias-tape "pinstriping". I think the overall look of that would be awesome, but too modern for most of my other patterns. (I had thought about using it for Simplicity 4714 (1943) but I think it would spoil the 1940's look of the dress too much.)

I'm thinking black revers, possibly also trimmed in red. The belt will be black on one side and red on the other, so both colors show when it's wrapped around.

Comments