Friday the 13th

I've never minded Friday the 13th. I'm not really superstitious, anyway, and Fridays are always good days for me.

169 pounds.

I'm really getting the hang of this. I spent two weeks sewing in the evenings and got almost no exercise, which is something I need to change. I went back to walking in the evenings, and I even jogged a little last night, for the first time in ten years. Okay, so I jogged about a block. Everybody has to start somewhere, right?

I need to start checking the classified ads for a treadmill. I ran on the treadmills at the PEC when I was in college and it was a lot easier on my legs (I gave up jogging the first time because I decided I'd like to have knees when I'm sixty). One of my model horse friends swears by elliptical machines, too. Hmm.

Anyway, I like exercise, and I'm really not suffering in the food department. I'm eternally grateful to my parents that they raised us to like fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy, and that they didn't have any concept of "kid food" versus "adult food." I cannot picture my mother making separate meals for us had we refused what everybody else was eating--we never had macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, or chicken nuggets around as "rewards" for our stubbornness in the face of green beans and fish. We didn't really do desserts, either. I eat more sugar now than I did as a child, which is bad, but so far, cutting back hasn't been that big a problem.

It's interesting to see which food tricks work. Oatmeal really is food genius. Oatmeal and egg whites will keep you going a long time. Five small meals a day is also genius, at least for me. I find that I have a bit of a phobia about being hungry and tend to eat preemptively, even though I'm clearly in no danger of starving. I don't recall doing that when I was a child, or in college, so my guess is it's a holdover from one of my old jobs, where we often worked busy, physically-active, 14+-hour days and I usually ate breakfast at 7:00, lunch at 2:00, and dinner when I got home at, oh, 10:00, at which point I thought I was going to keel over. (I also have the usual vices of eating when I'm either bored or tired.)

I'm drinking more tea and less coffee at work, because I don't need sugar for the tea. I've cut back to one teaspoon of sugar for the coffee, too. I always order iced tea at restaurants, instead of Coke. Sweet tea here is always sweeter than I want and has a funny (corn syrup?) aftertaste that I don't like, so I get unsweetened and add some sugar; it's still sugar but a lot less than I'd get in a Coke. I've yet to find a low-calorie sweetener whose flavor I can tolerate.

I always ask for a take-home box. I often get two or three extra meals out of one restaurant meal, usually by adding more vegetables. (Side note: Applebee's has a new selection of meals that they claim are under 500 calories. They have the added benefit of not being huge, un-finishable portions. The steak with new potatoes and vegetables was pretty good. Could have used more vegetables, but I'm not really complaining.)

Another thing that I find helps me is that I don't eat dessert right after dinner. I still eat dessert, but I eat it late, after I walk the dog, and walk myself. At that point, I'm hot, sweaty, and tired, and I find sweets sound a lot less appetizing when what I really need is water, a shower, and off to bed. I let half a pint of ice cream fossilize to the point of unsalvageability because I never got around to eating it.

Comments