Perfection in Simplicity Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Some things just shouldn't be dolled up too much. I could see adding sliced onions, jalapeños, or tomato to this, or ham or bacon, but I wouldn't take it much further than that.

2 slices bread (It's up to you, but personally, I swear by sourdough, or maybe light rye.)
Butter or margarine
Cheddar cheese (None of that plastic American "cheese" stuff . . . )
A griddle (Mine is an ordinary flat stove-top griddle. I've never owned a sandwich press so I can't give you any advice about them.)

Again: It's your choice, but I strongly encourage you to try sourdough bread. The chewy texture is a lot different from that of white or wheat, and it makes a big difference in the sandwich.

Butter one side of each slice of bread lightly and evenly, but thoroughly. Make sure the butter goes all the way out to the edges.

Slice the cheese and sandwich it between the bread buttered side out. I don't like thick slices of cheese. Actually, the pre-sliced squares of cheese that come in the little plastic trays in the deli section of the grocery store work very well. I use two per sandwich, but you could use a little more if you wanted. I prefer sharp Cheddar.

Okay, now the vital stuff:
Heat the griddle to medium-low. On my stove, it's actually the highest setting of low, but stoves vary so yours might be different. Grill until the cheese is melting and the bread on both sides of the sandwich is golden (this is why you have to butter thoroughly, to make sure the bread toasts all over).

The idea here is that you don't want to heat it too fast so that the bread toasts before the heat gets to the cheese, and you don't want the cheese to overcook and separate. If you cook it right, you don't need Kraft or Velveeta to get a good, creamy, sandwich. I like mine golden-to-golden-brown, but not too dark. It shouldn't be a big crouton.

Comments