Purple Oatmeal

Blueberries were on sale and I overbought (if that's even possible) so now I need to eat them all before they spoil.

Oatmeal is ridiculously good for you, and they're not kidding when they claim it will keep you full longer. Today's breakfast of two egg whites and a heapin' helpin' o' oatmeal with blueberries has lasted four hours and counting. (I'm a five-small-meals person. My days are too long, and I get too grouchy and irrational when I'm hungry, to do three normal meals.) With coffee and a sprinkling of Cheddar on the egg whites, that totals 330 calories, and all of it is "real food". Not bad.

Frankly, I wouldn't be above eating oatmeal for dinner, either. Another round of oatmeal and egg white omelet would not be unwelcome.

Purple oatmeal

Generous 2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups five-minute oats
1 1/2 cups blueberries (mine were fresh. Frozen would probably work just as well, if not better.)
3 teaspoons brown sugar, or to taste

Put the water and blueberries in a pot and start the water boiling. Boil the berries until they start to cook. Mash them against the sides of the pot with large spoon. Add the sugar.

Add the oatmeal and cook as you would normally, until it's as thick as you want it. You have to stir oatmeal a lot, anyway, and the more you stir, the more purple it becomes.

Makes three servings. Reheated oatmeal isn't as good as newly-made oatmeal but for those of us who have to get up early and run off to work, it's good enough.

I love these Corningware mugs with microwaveable tops. Love them. Corning isn't paying me to say that, I swear; they're just awesome. I can parcel out servings right into the mugs, and then grab one in the morning when I'm not awake enough yet to think about what I might want to eat today. Right now, I have two in the fridge with servings of purple oatmeal, and three with servings of leftover Thai chicken curry (Mom and I went out for Thai on Sunday. They always give you a lot of sauce so I took home the leftovers and added more chicken and rice. Yay! Five days of curry instead of one!).

Comments