Anne Adams 4835 (1955 postmark): The Fender Skirt Dress

Anne Adams 4835 is a recent acquisition. I suspect that the neckline may be a bit big on me and I might have to tweak it so the upper body is smaller and the lower body is a little larger, so it doesn't look too much like a potato sack with a belt on me, but mostly, I'm optimistic. It's actually a pullover. Most dresses I see of this vintage have side-seam zippers. Marian Martin 9359 does, even though it turns out I don't need it.

It's a very simple pattern--six princess gores with waist ties, set-in-seam pockets, and shoulder . . . thingies. I've started thinking of them as not-really-functional but aesthetically pleasing components, like tail-fins or fender skirts.

This one had no date on the postmark but it's probably from the early 1950's.

Please pardon my incredibly lame attempt at representing gingham. I'm sure Photoshop would do crosshatching for me, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I swore I'd never work in cotton-polyester again, but I might make an exception for this since I can't get out of my head that it wants to be pink and charcoal. I think, too, that I shouldn't make it too bright since the design is so doll-like on its own.

I'm way ahead of myself in planning versus what I actually have time to sew. This one is pretty far down the list, but it's still on my mind.

Comments