Chickpeas with Collards and Tomatoes

I love chickpeas. Seriously.

I got a hankering for chickpeas this weekend but didn't have the time or mental energy to attempt one of the zillion vegetable curry recipes I've collected in my search for the comfort-food faux-vindaloo they used to serve in the dining hall when I was in college (I'm not kidding. It was so not authentic, but so good in its own way).

I remembered to boil and soak the chickpeas properly this time so they actually cooked. Or you could use canned.

Chickpeas with Collards and Tomatoes

4 cups cooked chickpeas (2-3 cans?)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 pound collards (I used 16 ounces of frozen and chopped)
1 pound lean but flavorful sausage (I used 3/4 pound chicken andouille. I wanted the last sausage to roast for dinner, so I skimped.)
1 onion
seasonings to taste (I used parsley, black pepper, 1 bay leaf, cumin, and chili powder)

Rough-chop onion. Slice sausage links in half lengthwise, and then slice in to half-circles as thick as you like them. I like them thinner so you get more bites, but it's up to you. Brown sausage and drain if needed. Add onion and cook until golden.

In a big pot, combine chickpeas, tomatoes, and some water or light broth and start cooking. Add sausage and onion. I needed about 2 1/2 cans water, but it depends on how soupy you like your soup. I like mine thicker so I used enough to keep things going, but let a bunch of it steam off.

Add collards. Season to taste. When collards are cooked (an chickpeas are cooked, if you soaked your own), it's ready to go.

You could also add a little more water and cook 1-2 chopped potatoes, or some barley, in with everything else. I didn't do this but I've eaten it both over pre-boiled potato, and with bread and butter, and it's great either way. Leftover rice would be great, too, I'm sure; what doesn't go with rice?

I also almost added zucchini to this but I didn't want to end up with that big a pot of stew. I'm going to do that next time, though, because I think this would be great with zucchini or eggplant in it. Maybe some cauliflower? I don't see how you could go wrong, really.

Comments