Simplicity 7935 (1977)


Simplicity 7935 1977
Originally uploaded by Little Black Car
I ordered this yesterday. I never really went in for the Asian-inspired look, but I love that this is a pullover and that the skirt is closed, and that it could be a jumper or a dress. And it lends itself well to button loops instead of holes.

I thought this might be a good project for the navy blue print corduroy Sheila gave me. It's such nice fabric but I couldn't decide what to do with it. Skirt or jacket seemed the most obvious, but since it's a print, I didn't think it would be versatile enough and was afraid I'd end up not wearing it. Print corduroy skirts make me think of my 11th grade English teacher, whose taste, I'm sorry to say, I have no interest in emulating. She wore dark green or blue skirts and print turtlenecks--the one with the little flying mallards on it is the one I remember best--every day. Very L.L. Bean, 1978. She also had winged hair. In 1995. Yeah.

I'd leave off the collar. I need to save as much fabric as possible, anyway, but also, the collar seems like just a little too much on top of printed corduroy. Additionally, big collars in the winter are a pain because they don't fit well under sweaters and coats. It occurs to me that I could also leave off the cap sleeves; I'll have to see how I think that would look. I really seem to have a thing for cap sleeves, though.

Anyway, the dots didn't really show in the concept drawing but I swear they're there. The red on the cloth is not very bright so I think this could go with either a red belt and shoes, or brown belt and shoes. Amber Jean tells me I need to draw boots on more of my concepts; I think she was weirded out by the red heels. I had to confess to her that I actually do own those shoes. Anyway, I think the corduroy jumper would also look awesome with boots.

Amber Jean also suggested 1970's faux-leather buttons, which I think is a smashing idea. I was thinking bronze or brass. Something fairly neutral, though.

I'm undecided on pockets. I may not have enough fabric to match the direction of the wale, so side-seam pockets may be decided for me, but I have a nagging impulse to do something a little more interesting. For some reason, I have an idea involving in-seam pockets with brass/bronze buttons to echo the ones on the bodice. I have to do more drawing, it seems.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Also, while we're in a time warp to 1977, if anybody knows where I can get McCall's 5723 in a size 14 or 16, please let me know. (See the boots? Boots rule.)

Comments