Chili and Rice, Apple Salad

I ran a little over 2.5 miles last night. Still slowly, although less slowly; a pace recognizable as a jog instead of a shuffle.

I didn't have time to sew, too, though so I'm going to talk about food. You can skip this post.

I'm looking forward to lunch today. I had a coupon for Wolf Brand chili (you always say "Wolf Brand", not just "Wolf" . . . brand) so I got three cans of 99% fat-free turkey chili, which has 180 calories per cup instead of 400 for the regular stuff. I figured chili has so many seasonings in it that it would still taste OK made with turkey. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "healthy" since it's still got mega sodium, but, well, we can't have everything. I don't eat it all the time, anyway.

I love chili but canned chilis are always much too salty for me so I automatically mix them with a can of diced tomatoes (which I buy without added salt whenever possible) and usually eat it with rice. Last night I mixed a pot of 1 can chili, 1 can tomatoes, and two cups of cooked brown rice. That stretched two servings of chili per can into four and somewhat reduced the horrific sodium level. That made four servings, which I packed up in microwaveable dishes for weekday lunches.

I ate way too much this weekend. I'm not beating myself up because I really was hungry, but there was no good reason for me to be so hungry. Oh, well. The past two days I've been eating too much salad, not in penance, but because Mom brought a lot of leftover salad makings back from her church meeting and lettuce only lasts so long, and I hate throwing food away. I made some awesome salads but it did make me realize that it's possible to overdo it and end up struggling to stay under your calorie limit because salad will only satisfy you so far and you keep wanting to eat other things. I'm sure everybody's food needs are different but I definitely need some carbohydrates. Whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, something. I had an egg and oatmeal for breakfast this morning and I'm still full; the past two days I've eaten other things and been starving by this time. Lesson learned. Oatmeal is definitely my friend.

Carrots are also my friend. I don't want to overdo it because they're sugary, but I think the fact that they take so much work to eat makes them more satisfying. Like a Kong instead of a biscuit (Sorry. Dog mom here).

Yesterday's lunch salad was:

2 1/2 cups iceberg lettuce
2 cups spinach
1/2 apple, rough-chopped and tossed in lemon juice to prevent oxidation
1/8 cup raisins
1/8 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

I would have liked more raisins and pecans but they're very high-calorie. Oh, well. I bet this would be good with cabbage, too; almost like an apple slaw.

Comments