Hellhound, Part I

My mother is a Hallowe'en fan and, although she doesn't do full-blown house decorations, she has a small collection of little figurines and things that she puts out on the hoosier. A tree with fall leaves and dangling skeletons; a set of miniature gravestones (with the names of late, great, racehorses added to them). I loan her my Hagen-Renaker black sitting cat and scaredy cat, and a couple of years ago I made her a Fimo vulture for her tree, since I couldn't find a dollhouse-scale vulture anywhere.

I've been meaning for some time to make her a black dog. I started this last year but couldn't find the right dog to start with. Toy dog figurines just aren't very menacing; too many of them are happy Labradors and tail-wagging golden retrievers. Wolf-type dogs seem too obvious. Everyone is afraid of wolves. A Great Dane with cropped ears seems too artificial: Who would crop a hellhound's ears?

I almost settled on a stone resin Great Dane with natural ears, which was a little too big but was pretty close to what I wanted, when I found a new stone resin mastiff. Bullmastiff. It's not a very good bullmastiff but I think it has potential as a hellhound. I'm going to try giving it longer ears, more of a tail, and maybe a longer nose. Then, it gets painted black with red eyes.

I did some research. It seems that a lot of people have much more grandiose ideas about this kind of thing than I do:

Overdone.

Overdone, #2.

Overdone, #3.

Overdone, but getting better.

Cerberus. Too specific.

Oddly comical.

Hell . . . monkey?

Hell . . . 'possum?

No, I think that's the Minotaur.

WTF??

WTF?? Part II. Actually, I kind of like this, but it's still too much.

Is it me, or does this look like a Chinese crested dog?

. . .

Now, we're talking.

I think mine needs floppier ears.

Black Shuck. I've got this book. Too wolf-y for me, though.

Classic.

Diamond when I took away her chewie.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Comments