Hellhound, Part II

Done!

This was the starting point, a stone resin bull mastiff figurine. He's about four inches long in real life. Not the greatest bull mastiff ever, but it didn't matter since he was getting a makeover:


Out came the Super Sculpey and he got longer ears, a longer muzzle, furrier tail, and shaggier chest and legs. I was going to carve off the tail and add a new, raised one, but another model horse hobbyist cautioned me that stone resin shatters easily, and since I was pressed for time I decided I wouldn't risk it.


The other side:

The front:

Gessoed. Everything looks better when you start painting.


Yellow. I painted a bright yellow base coat to make sure the red undercoat stood out. Red is often a translucent color in acrylic craft paint and can wash out if you paint it directly over white primer.


Bright red:

Black. It's hard to tell here but the black was diluted and painted in combination of wash and dry-brush, so a little red showed through to make the hair detail stand out.


Finished, with red eyes and Krylon sealer:


The off side:

Close. My camera didn't want to focus.

Comments