Simplicity 6040 (1983): 2010 October 9

Last week, I posted a bunch of new pattern images and mentioned that I had meant to post them in order of increasing awesomeness.

It's Monday. There is no awesomeness on Mondays.

I started this dress Saturday night knowing full well that there was nothing remotely awesome about it, and that the fabric I was using for it wouldn't help. However, as much as I didn't like Simplicity 5365 from an aesthetic and sleeve-fit perspective, I do like lounge dresses, and Sheila-from-Louisiana had given me some fabric that I (sorry to admit) rather liked, but that I would never have worn in public.

The pattern is a super-simple smock or dress with a shoulder yoke, optional collar (I opted for the collar), optional short sleeves (I was going to improvise cap sleeves but now think I may just do short sleeves. Or not. I really like the idea of cap sleeves), and patch pockets. Nothing sexy here, folks:

The fabric is screaming lime-green Seventies-style calico, littered with tiny flowers in inexplicable shades of white, mustard, rust-red, and what is probably black but reads as dark brown. Why anyone chose those shades for flowers is beyond me. The yoke, collar, and pockets, and the cap sleeves if I figure them out, is solid espresso-brown cotton. The collar and pockets have lime bias stripes:


This is the basic concept. It looks both better and worse in real life. It looks less mismatched, but also less elegant since pattern illustrations jump through flaming hoops to make even bags-with-shoulder-yokes look elegant. I guarantee you it will never look this classy in real life.

I need to update this: I did brown pockets with green stripes, and there is a single stripe on the collar instead of edge binding. I considered rick-rack but Hobby Lobby didn't have the right color and I didn't want to drive all the way out F.M. 1960 to Hancock's for a single packet of rick-rack (I also didn't want to go to Hancock's and be tempted by their fabric selection, which is a lot better than Hobby Lobby's. Dangerous territory, that. Thank goodness I always forget that JoAnn isn't that far away, either, or I'd be broke.)

I have pictures of the dress in progress, but don't have them uploaded yet.

Comments