New patterns

I hit a run of bargain patterns this week. These aren't the what I usually collect: This time around, I was looking for really cheap patterns to be used for office clothes, which sometimes need to look a little more "normal" than the things I would wear if what I wore really, truly, didn't matter. Which it does, on occasion.

I was also looking for some winter patterns. I've realized, though, that pattern-shopping on my lunch break is dangerous because my office is freezing, so I tend to gravitate toward patterns that basically amount to my being sewn up in a big flannel bag, trying to stay warm. It's better than it used to be now that I'm on the warm side of the building and have a window, but I never quite shake the wearing-my-winter-pajamas-to-work inclination.

McCall's 7041 (1980): I'm not loving those full sleeves on the white version, but I like the ruffles on the blue one. I like the skirt. It has an elastic waist, which seems a little weird to somebody accustomed to waistbands, but might be nice, especially since so much of our year is effectively summer. I think this one will get made out of a soft material, though; probably a faux-homespun.

Marian Martin 9477 (1978, I think): This isn't a style--it's basically a Sixties shift dress, held over--that usually attracts me. Of the bazillion pattern images I have in Flickr, I have almost none from the Sixties. On the other hand, I like square necklines and this looks like a nice summer dress that should sew up quickly and won't be too fussy or restrictive. Actually, I'm seeing it right now as a jumper (plum herringbone. To be worn over a black turtleneck). I think it would also be a good pattern for the Hobby Lobby blue daisy print with which I've had a low-grade obsession for several years, but didn't want to use because it seemed like too much print on top of my older, more elaborate, patterns. It might work on a pared-down dress like this, though. And I could use daisy buttons. This is a petite pattern, so I'll have to lengthen it a bit, but that's easy enough.

McCall's 4565 (1975): Stumbled upon this one on Etsy, and then I couldn't find it again because I kept thinking it was a Style pattern. It looks like something Style would have produced. This one is a Fifties retrospective: That bodice with the kimono sleeves, pointed revers, and turned-back contrast cuffs, is dead-on 1950's. The differences? This has a shorter skirt, and it has those L-shaped applied pockets. I hate those pockets--they remind me of Boy Scout pants, which have no business getting mixed up with a dress with Tinkerbell cuffs. So, the pockets are out. The dress also has a long zipper all the way down the back, which is modern and normal for most dresses post-1960's, but which I still find bizarre. It's unnecessary--a 1950's dress would have had a discreet side zipper--and hideously ugly. Like a two-foot scar down the middle of the dress. Gah! Side zipper it is! I'm sort of seeing this in a dark green tone-on-tone print with brighter cuffs and revers.

Butterick 6025 (1970's): This one is the flannel-bag pattern. Yeah, I know. I'm kind of thinking I might leave the collar off and make it either collarless, or with a band collar, and then I might put paired buttons and loops down the neck closure. I'm going to look for either a gray brushed cotton or something in grayish-lilac, with a subtle print.

Comments