Simplicity 6040 (1983): 2010 October 11

Okay, more progress on the Screaming Green dress. I'll be the first to admit that this is a boring pattern, and that the outcome is going to be both weird and frumpy, but frumpy is sort of the point. It's supposed to be a housedress, and sometimes boring patterns are good for when you just need to get something done and don't have time to learn too much in the process.

The lining of the shoulder yoke:

Yes, I see the big pink stain. I don't know what that is but since it's on the inside, I don't care. I've had this piece of fabric forever but the color was too boring to be useful in anything. However, the fabric itself is good quality, so I didn't want to toss it. It makes a good lining. Nobody will see the pink stain.

The outside. Looks just like the inside, only brown and not stained. I guess it's pretty hard to stain dark brown, anyway:


Our old-school iron. I actually do have a new[er] iron but it seems silly to have two of them going at once and this one works fine. You just have to remember to turn it off. (The newer one--which is still 15 years old--has an automatic shut-off.)


The pockets.

The zipper. The zipper zips up to the bottom of the yoke, and then there are two buttons and loops on the yoke, which I may or may not fasten on a regular basis. This is the first time I've ever installed a zipper according to the directions on the zipper packet. What do you know--it works! I should try it again sometime! Ha ha. Yes, the zipper is cream-colored. I wasn't going to drive miles and miles to find a green zipper in the right length for a dress that wasn't meant to be worn in public, anyway. There aren't that many fabric and notions stores near me any longer.


The zipper, open. Not a great job but I'll get better. I've never been good at zippers.


The collar:

The dress so far. You can almost see the buttons and loops. The collar and yoke lining are attached and sewn down on the inside. I really only have sleeves, side-seams, and hem to go. I really want to do cap sleeves in brown with green stripes (like on the collar) but I have to figure out a pattern to do that. I was too tired to mess with it on Sunday.

Anybody else thinking of chocolate and lime?

Comments