2010 November 6: Goodwill Select

I need to make a count of the thrift stores in my area. They've been opening Goodwill Selects like crazy, including one at a big intersection about a mile and a half from my house. I never seem to have the kind of insane luck that some people have at thrift stores: The ones near me are actually quite expensive (I think) and most of the clothes, even in the "high end" ones, aren't what I need. Good sweaters do not exist on the Gulf Coast. That's all there is to it. I long for my college days and Second Mile, which was incredibly cheap and always well-stocked with good wool sweaters and Pendleton shirts, because it was Iowa where people actually wear things like that.

Nevertheless, Mom and I stopped at Hobby Lobby in the Woodlands for something a few weeks ago and saw that they had opened a Goodwill Select next door, so we popped in just to look around. She found a stuffed chickadee that "chickadee-dee-dees" when you squeeze it. for forty-nine cents. Those things are quite expensive in the nature catalogs, and we put birds in our Christmas tree instead of ornaments. She also found a razorback Beanie Baby (Beanie knockoff? I don't know. It's Beanie-esque) to send to my brother.

I found some fabric, a Corpus Christi souvenir plate (I love souvenir plates. Don't ask), and a stuffed donkey. I went to a small church secondhand store a few months ago and came home with a stuffed horse. I don't need stuffed animals, I'm just unable, it seems, to let a toy equid go unrescued.

But he was so cute:


There's the plate. It's not an old one but it's still fun.


I got four fat quarters of a miniature floral print. I think Jeannie the doll is overdue for a new dress, and this would be really cute. I kind of want to make her a 1970's-style prairie dress.


I also got about two yards of this lightweight, lilac-colored roses print, which is either cotton or cotton-polyester (though less polyester-y than the pink and brown Gingham From Hell). I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. I might try to squeeze a summer nightgown out of it. Failing that, it might make a good blouse, although it's sort of girly-overkill for me. Sometimes Western blouses are made of light florals, right? I could do that to make it less saccharine.



We went to the other new Goodwill Select, the one near my house, this past Saturday. Mom found a DVD that she's been looking for for, she swears, ten years. I found the classic jean jacket I'd been wanting:

Levi's, baby.

And this synthetic-straw purse. It's not vintage, of course, but it does have a nice 1940's feel.

Comments