2010 November 8

157.

I've decided to stick with three miles of jogging for awhile, at least until I can do it a little faster and less awkwardly. It's a lot easier now that the weather has dried out and cooled off (not that it's cool: We're creeping back up toward highs of 80 degrees this week!). I have a good route worked out now.

Again, I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm totally impressed with now much more toned my legs are. Legs have always been a sensitive subject for me. Mine are proportionally short, although since I'm 5'7" that's not such an issue. I've always had rather thick ankles but nice, if rather muscular calves, which is not necessarily aesthetically unpleasant but felt discouragingly unfeminine back in the days of the tapered jean.

The worst part is, though, that I have thighs like a Belgian draft horse.

I'm not looking for sympathy here; it's just a fact. The reason I no longer wear pants is because if I estimate fit by holding the waistband up to my waist, then I can only pull the pants on up to my knees. If I go with a bigger size that I can actually get on, then the waist is so big I can't even gather it comfortably into a belt. I've found Lee Riders straight-legs that fit well enough, but the last time I bought jeans that really fit well was in the mid-1990's, when massive wide-legs were "in". I'm praying for the end of the low-rise and skinny jean era.

I'm never going to have long, trim, legs, but the fact that I can at least make them leaner and smoother is practically a miracle.

Comments

Andrea said…
I love wide-leg pants too -- my husband says I wear all my clothes like pajamas. I *hate* tight pants, and tapered pants, even if they were to fit, are not my best look. It seems like the "modern" wide-leg pant is often fitted in the thigh, but I have found a couple of good pairs. I bought a stupid-expensive pair of wide-leg corduroys at Anthropologie over the weekend because they had that hard-to-find loose and comfy leg.

re: running -- I've been running regularly for the last 30 years, but I don't care to build up a lot of distance. I run like 3.5 miles 5 times a week. Working on form may be useful, and I found that when I started doing Pilates a year or two ago, that helped too. But actually what's most important is just doing it. :)