Apple-Raisin Cole Slaw with Creamy Dressing

I don't like mayonnaise and usually use little or none of it in cole slaw (I use a vinaigrette dressing instead); however, this time around, other people were going to eat it so I thought I'd better do something more conventional and less pickley.

I made a double batch, but it was buckets of slaw. I think this is more manageable

Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Whisk together and set aside.


Salad mix

1/2 large head of green cabbage

2 medium apples (I used 1 sour Granny Smith and 1 sweet/tart Jonagold)

2 medium carrots

1 1/2 cups raisins (I used half dark raisins and half golden. In retrospect, I wish I had used 1/3 each dark, golden, and dried cranberries. Cranberries would have been awesome.)

I didn't use celery but the next time I make this, I'll probably add a rib or two. I have a bunch of slaw left over so I might still add it to.

I didn't add them because so many people are allergic to nuts, and because this had to stay decent overnight, but I think this would also be great with chopped pecans or walnuts. I would stir them in just before serving, though, or sprinkle them on top so they wouldn't be soggy.


To assemble

Shred or finely shave the cabbage. Lightly salt it, toss, and set aside in a colander to "sweat."

Core and chop the apples (I left the peels on for color and texture). Peel and coarsely grate the carrots. If you're using celery, scrub it, halve it lengthwise, and slice. Break up the raisins if they've become pressed together in the package.

Shake the sweated water off the cabbage and toss the salad ingredients together. Add dressing and stir thoroughly to coat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I really like the mayonnaise-sour cream base for the dressing. I need to try it again with a savory cole slaw instead of a sweet one, since sweet is not really my thing (don't get me wrong--I like this, but I'll never like sweet cole slaw as much as non-sweet).

Comments

Unknown said…
I am typically not a big fan of cole slaw, but this could change my mind. It sounds great. Thank you for sharing!