McCall's 7500: 2010 November 3, and New Patterns

Two more rather dull, but simple office-wear patterns.

McCall's 5226 (1976): This one needs to be sized down considerably but I like the jacket. It's very comprehensive: You get pants, blouse, jacket, and jumper in one packet.


Simplicity 8005 (1977): Wrap-around sundress or jumper. I think this might finally be The One for the copper/blue shot-weave denim. With copper buckstitching. Wouldn't that be awesome? My cowgirl blouses are thanking me already.

I like that it has a high back that will cover a bra:


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, on the McCall's 7500 front . . .

Good grief, I'm slow! I'm still not done!

I did go jogging last night, after walking the dog, which takes up pretty much the whole evening, but I still managed to cut, assemble, and hem the ruffle. I did that by staying up way too late, and of course it was chilly last night and raining this morning, so I had a very, very, hard time getting out of bed.


I cut the ruffle an inch and a half wider than the pattern wanted, because I tend to like things a little too long. Not flattering, I guess, but that's what I'm used to. The gingham is technically unidirectional, but it's actually more directional than that because of the weave: You can see a slight difference in the pattern from one side to the other. However, it's not terribly obvious since it's 1/8-inch check and it's so busy. Cutting it "correctly" would have wasted a whole lot of fabric, so I cut it "incorrectly" and chose to ignore the slight difference in pattern texture. Sorry. I've already cut so many corners on this dress, though, that I really don't think it matters. The sewing police can come after me later.

You can see the grain shift here: The check angles to the left on the left side of the seam, and to the right on the right-hand side. Not so bad, really. I figure anyone who stares at it long and hard enough to notice will get a well-deserved migraine, anyway, with that pattern.


I did folded-over seams in the ruffle so, instead of doing a folded-twice hem, I used hem tape to reduce bulk. We have a drawer full of bias binding, piping, hem lace, and hem tape in a zillion bizarre Seventies colors that we inherited from my grandmother. I used up two partial packets of pale pink tape, and about six inches of beige when the pink ran out. It's not that noticeable, I swear. Not that I would really care if it was, at this point. I have no idea how old that tape is so I may end up having to redo it in a month when the stuff gives out; we'll see.

The whole thing:

I ran a basting thread through the top and marked it at intervals so I could space the ruffles evenly, but there's obviously no point in gathering it until I have the body here to sew it to. So, right now it's still an unruffled ruffle. (Flounce? Is this big enough to be a flounce? It's sort of an intermediate size.)

Comments