McCall's 7500: 2010 November 4

I stayed up too late again last night, watching "Dr. G: Medical Examiner" and "MythBusters" and barreling down the home stretch of sewing McCall's 7500. It was totally worth it, too.

Ironically, "MythBusters" was testing the dangers of driving while drowsy. I should suggest they study the dangers of sewing while drowsy . . .

I'm not sure what the correct way is of doing ruffles, but my method is to run a basting thread around the top of the ruffle-to-be and then, before I actually ruffle it, to measure and mark the fabric strip at regular intervals. This ruffle was 104 inches around, which is 52 inches per side, which divides by 16 sections per side of about 3 1/4 inches each. So I marked it every 3 1/4 inches.

When I got home, I marked the bottom edge of the dress in the same way: At 16 sections each, front and back. These sections were smaller (2 inches or so? I've forgotten. It was late). I pinned the ruffle and skirt together at the markings:


And then used the basting thread to draw the ruffle into, um, ruffles . . . as I ran it through the machine.


And then, because I'm compulsive, I bound the seam.


Finished, but hanging inside out. Okay, now that I think about it, this photo has no point, but it made sense at the time.


Finished, hanging normally.


Finished, hanging on me.


After going to the trouble of adding width to the ruffle, I've decided it's too long so I'm going home tonight to cut it down and re-hem it, but you get the idea. I also am going to make the waist tie in case I ever want it, and before I throw out all the scraps of this Godforsaken fabric, but I like the belt better.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My Morton Pottery birds arrived in the mail yesterday. I wasn't looking for so many birds but they came all together in one auction. The Morton Pottery was in Morton, Illinois, and was in business from 1922-1976. My grandfather was born in Morton, although he didn't have anything to do with pottery.

I have a yellow and pink cockatiel already and wanted the green one to go with it. I ended up with two. I wasn't going to keep both but I haven't decided.


They came with a lovebird planter. I don't really do planters but I suppose I could think of something else to put in here. The planter part is pretty small.

Comments