Tuesday, written off

Can I get a do-over?

I've been driving across town, twice a day, five days a week, for five years, on what I've heard is one of the worst stretches of freeway in the U.S. Until this morning, I'd been lucky. I'm a careful driver, but when there are that many cars going that fast (or that not-fast; it's probably safer, really, when we're all in gridlock. You can't get very hurt bumping the guy in front of you while driving in second gear), there are too many variables.

I changed lanes this morning and I swear when I checked, the lane was clear, but a second later when I turned into it, there was a Toyota Tacoma in it. Sigh.

It could have been worse: We only side-swiped. His truck has a gouge in the running board and black scrapes on the side. My car has a dinged fender, probably will needs it plastic fender cover replaced, a new rear-view mirror, and a new wheel cover. If I'd been faster, he could have rear-ended me and we both could have been seriously hurt. But we're not. I just feel like a moron and I'm upset that my car is bruised up.

Comments

Andrea said…
Ah, that sucks! Fender-benders are frustrating, and I've found that reminding myself that it's only a car, nobody was hurt, etc. doesn't help as much as I wish it did in that circumstance. And in Houston, it's inevitable that it's gonna happen ... long commutes, fast drivers, and overpacked roads. Anyhow, I sympathize!