New Patterns: 2010 December 17

Marian Martin 9085 (1970's) was another pattern that kept haunting me on eBay. It was there for months and months and months, and I'd click on it, and then see something even harder to pass up, and move on. And yet I kept coming back.

It really is a nice take on 1970's prairie fashion. Sweet, but more subtle and less impractical than many prairie dresses. Still, it has that hint of shoulder-yoke and a little frosting of eyelet so you don't forget its roots.


I think it really needs to be allowed to revel in said roots, though. I'm seeing burgundy calico, to make the eyelet trim stand out.

Worn with black stockings and boots, of course. (Or stockings, at least, if you happen to be a model with no legs.)


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This is something else to which I kept returning on eBay. The seller finally got frustrated and marked it down to practically-paying-me-to-take-it level, so I did.

Little Made in Japan fawn. Mom thinks her face looks like that of our dog, with big ears and big, rolling, eyes, and a slightly brain-damaged expression.


She'll have a buddy in the form of a Brad Keeler #880 reclining fawn. Brad Keeler was part of the California art pottery heyday. I think art pottery is starting to supplant my model horse hobby. I guess I'm growing up? (Don't hold your breath on that one!)

Comments