New Patterns: 2010 December 7

Clearance-sale day on eBay! People must be cleaning out their shops for the new year.

Butterick 5924 (late 1970's): Another easy casual dress. This one has a drawstring waist and three sleeve options. I love me some cap sleeves. (Borrowed image: Mine is my proper size 14/bust 36). I'll probably leave off the breast pocket since they're generally impractical, and might add patch pockets to the skirt.

I thought it would look good in a soft yarn-dye, similar to this:



Advance 4754 (circa 1946-1948): Zip-front housedress or housecoat. I've been half-looking for one of these for awhile. This one is even my size!


I may use the red paisley for this, with blue bias-tape trim around the sleeves, revers, pockets, and skirt. I'm struggling with this fabric: It's very good quality and quite beautiful, but it's loud and busy. I've thought of using it on the back of the pink and navy Crown of Thorns quilt I swear I'm going to make someday, but it would have to be pieced out with something else, anyway, and it seems a bit of a shame to use it for a quilt back. I've also considered making a dirndl skirt out of it, because it would look awesome with either a white summer blouse or my new French blue turtleneck.

I really do want to make something wearable out of it, though, more than a quilt back. Paisleys are sort of traditional for robes and housecoats, so, even though this is absolutely modern and not even remotely 1940's, I think it could be fun.

Or I could find a more 1940's-appropriate reproduction to use, and use this for the skirt. Hmm. Something like this would be awesome.

Comments