Unfinished Projects

Oh, my.

So many unfinished projects, so little time.

I've actually gotten to the point of making lists of things I need to accomplish, like, yesterday. So far I've got:

1) Post office--mail Christmas gifts
2) Christmas shopping--something better for my sister-in-law
3) Patterns--Amber Jean is still waiting for me to trace her a bunch of old patterns.
4) Christmas gifts--organize and wrap. You would think that shouldn't take too long, right? But, no . . .
5) Simplicity 3717 (1951): Cut, partially sewn, and hanging in the closet.
6) Butterick 5744 (1952?): Partially cut and hanging in the closet.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I started Simplicity 3717 (1951) almost a year ago but was unsure about how much I liked it and sidelined it while I worked on other things. I think the yarn-dye stripe I chose is probably too soft a fabric, and I'm not sure I really want to wear such a loud pattern, but I think now I should at least finish it to see how it works. I can always Goodwill it, if nothing else.

The pattern is a smock/housedress. I'm making version 3 with the square neckline, but in dress length. It's loose enough to pull over so I'm not going to do all the buttons down the back.


The fabric is a Moda yarn-dyed stripe in natural, aqua, dark rose/soft brick red, and chocolate brown. I love the colors but I don't think the fabric has enough body to support the dress. I actually love this fabric, I'm just not sure it's the right context.


Kona espresso brown trim:


* * * * * * * * * * * *

Butterick 5744 (1952?) is a similar apron-dress idea, but it folds over the head, buttons at the front waist, and ties in the back. It only comes in one size, which is supposed to fit everyone. We all know how well that usually works . . .

When I started this, I was at least a size 20 (vintage), plus big hips. Really, I was a little bigger than that, but I'll only cop to being a 20. Now I'm comfortably an 18 and am down enough inches that this could conceivably fit around me. It would work much better if it had a flared skirt instead of a straight one with waist darts, but it's too late now to do anything about that.

Alas, I absolutely love the fabric, which is a tiny taupe/ivory/slate blue print, and I would seriously cry if it turned out to be wasted. I can't get any more of it, either, so I can't re-cut the dress later.

I'm not kidding about the crying part.


With slate blue bias binding:

I want this dress to work out so badly I can taste it. I have pretty much no faith that it will, but I want it to. Fingers crossed.

Comments