144

144

OK, I'm done. That's thirty pounds lost and that's plenty low enough. I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror this morning--in a nightdress that used to be tight around my hips but is now almost too loose everywhere--and decided officially that nobody needs to be skinnier than that, especially if she has my body type. The skirts that I wanted to wear again fit easily, and my T-shirts are no longer disreputably snug.

(On a side note: I hope this doesn't sound vain, because I don't mean it that way, but if I were a model I would probably have to be another twenty or thirty pounds thinner, which is absolutely insane. I mean, we know models' weights are insane, right, but this really drove it home. I don't know where I'd find another twenty pounds to lose.)

I've gotten better at, and more consistent about, exercise, which moved me up from "sedentary" to "slightly active" (my desk job tanked my activity-level category, but I can't help that). Calorie Count had recommended 1,400 calories a day, which turned out to be a righteous pain in the backside. The first calorie counter set me at 1,525. I don't know why 1,525 was easy and 1,400 was so much trouble, but 1,400 is way too low. I almost always went over the limit and I was actually getting a little stressed mentally about trimming calories without going hungry. When a mid-afternoon apple seems decadent, there's a problem.

The cost of those last 125 calories was much too high. It's a mug of cocoa or a cup of tea and two Fig Newtons before bedtime. At some point, nitpicking over calories is not worth a small measure of comfort.

I reset the calorie meter for 1,800 and we'll see how that goes.

Comments

Evie said…
Congratulations!! That's great!