Simplicity 4714 (1943): Part 1

I'm glad I've got a three-day weekend, because I'm going to need it.

I have too many movies saved on the DVR so I've been watching them frantically, trying to get the list down. In the past two days I've watched:

Tenth Avenue Angel (1948): This sucked. I mean, you have to like Margaret O'Brien even when she's shrill and annoying, but the world must still have been desperate for feel-good material in 1948.

The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941): This also sucked. Well, not really, but it seriously needed editing. It also needed not to have the Devil be an Irish leprechaun stereotype. Ouch.

Beyond Christmas (1940): This was predictable and not really very good, but it was probably more effective than it had a right to be. The young man and woman were lame but I really liked the old men. This was sort of in the vein of On Borrowed Time; there seems to have been a fashion for shockingly sad comedies in the 1930's and 1940's.

Casablanca (1942): This is a great movie, but I think it's sort of overrated. I've never thought Humphrey Bogart was at all convincing, romantically. He just doesn't seem like the type who, at his core, needs a woman. I know he didn't end up with Ingrid Bergman, but I don't feel like I ever thought he would. I do think it was a very important movie, though, for having been made during the Second World War.

The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954): Very well-done, but watching Fitzgerald's spoiled rich people ruin their own lives out of boredom gets old pretty fast.

Orpheus (1949): Freaking weird. I thought that Death was more obsessed with Orpheus than he was with her (and it also seemed as if Death was actually a renegade reaper, since she had to answer to a committee of sorts for overstepping her authority). Maybe I don't watch enough French films? This was half really good and half Elvira, Mistress of the Night.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

While I had these on, I shortened my dad's Yoruba tunics, and started another sewing project.

This wasn't one of the dress patterns I was even considering, but it was a simple pattern, I had the fabric, and I needed a new navy blue dress.


I wanted to do the contrast facing. The fabric is actually navy and burgundy plaid, but this showed up better:

I was thinking this, with no ruffles:


But, then, the ruffles are very 1940's, and the dress is pretty dark. The detail might be nice.


I could do the sleeve ruffles, too.

Comments