Brrr . . . ead. Brrr . . . eakfast bowl

The heater on the east side of our offices died. Of course, the east side is the one that has both our workstations and the large, poorly-insulated, picture windows, so we're working in coats and scarves. I'm fantasizing about fiddlers' mitts.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My friend Sally posted on Facebook about her adventures in no-knead breadmaking. I remember the New York Times article--I think I actually clipped and saved it somewhere, and I know I bookmarked it online--and now I'm determined to try it out. This weekend, probably. I actually found a recipe for 100% whole-wheat no-knead bread at Su Good Sweets, as well. I love bread. My mother never bought Wonder Bread (or its generic equivalents. We were all about generics) so I never developed a taste for "gooey white bread." Chewy bakery bread and a little good cheese is pretty close to Heaven.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm also going to cop to being . . . well, "fan" would be an overstatement, but at least a consumer of Jimmy Dean D-Lights. Yeah, I know; frozen-food garbage. The ads are right, though: They really do fill you up, and you really don't miss full-fat sausage.

I hate buying all that packaging and paying so much, though. I had extra potatoes this week so I threw my own version together last night.

(This makes two servings. Always good to have breakfast planned ahead, right?)

8 ounces baked potato (about 1 small or 2/3 medium-large potato), cubed (220 calories)
1 egg (80 calories)
4 tablespoons egg white (30 calories)
1/4 onion (10 calories)
2 turkey sausage links (80 calories, according to the box)
Water
Non-stick frying pan
Seasonings (I only used pepper since the sausage was salty)

Chop onion finely and steam it in the well-covered pan until it softens a little. Slice the sausage and add it to the pan. Beat the egg and egg white together. Add to the pan and either allow it all to cook as an omelet, or scramble.

Distribute potato between two containers (I use microwaveable Corningware mugs with lids, because then I don't have to fuss with extra bowls in the morning). Divide egg mixture and add to potatoes.

You could use all egg whites instead, of course, and add extra vegetables. I think I'd like one with tomatoes. You could also add a little cheese.

Total calories: 420
Calories per serving: 210

Comments