New Patterns, and Ripping

Still no more sewing done, but I did get a lot of un-sewing done.

My mother's friend is making her niece a beautiful quilt using Civil War reproduction prints; alternating blocks of stars and diagonal half-squares. She prewashed the fabric but one side of the half-squares is dark red, which bled onto the white side when she steam-ironed it. Luckily, she only spoiled one block. She asked Mom over to get some advice.

We told her that, since she had only sewn the blocks into strips and not yet assembled the entire top, she should take the red out and get a different fabric. She was pretty discouraged about the whole project so we told her to work on something else and we would take the strips and rip them for her. I got three and half done yesterday.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

McCall's 5084 (1976?): I looked for one of these forever but gave up, and then stumbled upon a Bust 36 one this weekend. Hooray!


Butterick 4888 (1977?): I wanted that apron, and I like the pink dress but would make one with a shorter skirt and possibly a band collar.

Comments

Andrea said…
I'm drawn to the tunic, but I probably couldn't pull it off. I loved the dress-over-jeans trend from a few years ago, and yet somehow on me it looked stupid. Not sure why.

McCalls 5084 is awesome. I just hunted it down and bought a copy. :)
I think I may make the tunic longer and more dress-like. Over jeans wouldn't work on me.

5084 looks like just what I need for these Houston summers.