Simplicity 4714 (1943): Part 4: Sleeve facings

I finally got desperate and attached the sleeve facings last night. I brought the sleeves to work with me to finish over lunch.

I cut them from scrap fabric. I've had this lightweight cotton forever; it's dull dark red with little English soldiers printed on it. Kind of weird. I actually messed up the first time and cut them too short; you'll notice in the other pictures that the soldiers have rotated 90 degrees because I had to re-cut the facings. Doh!


I pinned them on and sewed them along the sleeve edge with the machine. This was a huge pain in the neck, with all those ruffles on there.

(Notice the soldiers have miraculously changed orientation.)


Finishing them by hand was a pain, too. I didn't turn the sleeves inside-out because I was afraid that the facings would then be too large and bunch when I turned them back. But that meant I had to sort of sew inside the sleeve a little bit. Thank goodness for pins.

Looks like a squash blossom. On acid.

(The colors are not true here. The blue is much darker and more neutral. I had to mess with the picture to get the details to stand out.)


I told myself that I cut the facings from scrap because I don't have much navy blue left and need to save it for the skirt trim and possibly the pockets, and the Kona I bought to replace it doesn't match. I can't change blues in the middle of a project, obviously.

The truth is, though, that I have a little tiny fascination with scrap facings and I kind of like that sneaky bit of red, and the little soldiers. It's like a private joke.

Comments

Andrea said…
I like those kinds of hidden details too -- it's one of the reasons I like to keep a lot of different colors of lining fabrics on hand. I don't really set sewing goals per se, but one of the things I'm trying to do is get better at spotting opportunities to make a garment special -- when I first started sewing I would just make something out of a single fabric and be done with it -- boring!
It must be the history geek in me, but . . . I know most people don't want their clothes to look home-sewn. I do, though. I want it to be quirky, even in places nobody knows about but me. I think it's kind of a seamstress inside joke.