Small Planet Macaroni and Cheese

My brother and sister-in-law left this morning so we are no longer provisional cat owners. We should see them again when they move this summer, though, and we bring them their giant Shiner beer mirror. I hope Tucker remembers us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I made this for dinner last night. It's based on the Macaroni Crumb Custard recipe in Recipes for a Small Planet, the 1970's vegetarian protein cookbook. I like this cookbook. I guess it's pretty dated and repetitive now, but in some ways that's good, since it doesn't rely on processed or hard-to-find ingredients (except soy grits. Still not sure where to get soy grits).

My version is pretty much the same except I use a few more noodles.

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat macaroni (365 calories)
1 cup bread crumbs (450 calories)
3 eggs (90 calories per egg = 270 calories)
1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim = 140 calories)
1 to 1 1/2 cups cheese (I used 1 1/2 cups 2% sharp cheddar = 650 calories)
1/4 white or yellow onion, chopped (15 calories)
seasonings to taste (I used parsley, oregano, dry mustard, salt, pepper, and a little cayenne)

Cook noodles and set aside.

While the noodles are cooking, heat the milk and soak the bread crumbs in the hot milk.

Beat the eggs.

Once the bread crumbs are thoroughly soaked, add to them the chopped onion, eggs, cheese, and seasonings.

Pour the noodles into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Distribute the custard mixture over them but don't stir. Place the dish in a pan of water and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

Total calories: 1890
Calories per serving (serves 6): 315
Calories per serving (serves 8): 235

I made 1 1/2 recipes because I was afraid "6 servings" might not be enough for five people, at least two of whom can be big eaters. We did finish the one casserole, but still had the smaller casserole left over, and we were stuffed, so I would say this makes six generous servings. If I were eating it by myself, it would be eight servings.

We ate it with steamed kale and mom's sauce of hummus thinned with lemon juice. (This is also awesome, by the way. I can't think now why I don't eat more kale.)

Comments