New Patterns: 2011 February 15

Mom and I watched the first three hours of the Westminster Dog Show last night. So far, the Best in Breed winners are the Scottish deerhound (hound group), Pekingese (toy group), shar-pei (nonsporting group), and bearded collie (herding group). The working, terrier, and sporting breeds are tonight.

I confess I'm always a little disappointed when the Pekingese wins. I'm sure they're lovely little dogs, but I can't imagine that they aren't judged primarily by head and coat, which seems a little like cheating when the rest of the dogs actually have to have, you know, functional conformation.

On the other hand, some of our favorites didn't win, but placed in the breed groups: Bichon frisé, Norwegian elkhound, Pembroke Welsh corgi, Keeshond. Mom still likes the Tibetan terrier and the Havanese. I still love Schipperkes and Cardigan Welsh corgis, but I always like fox-faced dogs.

The new breeds this year, so far, are the Redbone coonhound, bluetick coonhound, and the Icelandic sheepdog (which we also liked). Apparently we'll see the Cane Corso, Boykin spaniel, and Leonberger tonight.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was an aprony kind of day.

Simplicity 8114 (1977): A-line skirt and apron/jumper thing. This totally undermines all the objections I had to Plain dress in those discussions with other Quakers. Sigh.


McCall's butcher apron sample 1975: Um . . . butcher apron, like it says. It apparently doubles--no, triples--as a jumper and a slightly daring sundress. I've also seen apron sample patterns from 1958 and circa-1967.

Comments