New Patterns: 2011 February 2

We're anticipating a high of 36 degrees here today. I know that makes all you northerners laugh but it's a rare thing on the Gulf Coast. Consequently, it's quite a dangerous thing: The city sets up warming centers where people can go if they can't afford to heat their homes, don't have heat, or are homeless. Also, a lot of houses have water pipes above ground so pipe-bursts are frequent. We leave our attic door open a bit to keep the temperature up there at night high enough that nothing will freeze. Dad rigged up a small electric heater for our exterior pipes.

I bundled up the azalea bush last night. The bloody grapefruit tree outgrew itself this past summer and I couldn't wrap it, no matter what I did, so it had better be big enough to survive the week. I even considered cutting the top off but it had gotten too thick.

I called Mom this morning begging for something warm and soupy for dinner. Stew, chili, whatever, as long as I could all but swim in it. (I also asked for a sweet potato so I could try So Good and Tasty's sweet potato cinnamon roll recipe. I forwarded it to a friend of mine a few days ago and she made them and says they're life-changing. Mom said she'd get several sweet potatoes if I'd make pie.)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went to a dinner lecture last night. One of the charitable foundations that contributes annually to my employer's budget (I work for a private academic institution) sponsors this talk every February and buys tickets for certain staff members who wish to attend. I think this was my third.

My boss went home and put on a Sunday suit and nice tie. Alas, I hadn't planned ahead very well and ended up going in a gingham dress and dark turtleneck. Oops. It's not the sort of thing where anyone pays much attention to what you wear, especially if you're a nonentity like I am, but it did remind me--again--that I need to focus more on less eccentric and more versatile office wear. My office is not formal but I should look neater.

I have about 10 million patterns I could use if I'd just do it, already. I even have lovely brand-new turtlenecks to wear under the jumpers or with skirts.

McCall's 6209 (1978): This is such a piano-teacher dress, but I like the cowl neckline, and the V with the johnny collar. I like both sleeve options, too, and it's not blousy so it could be worn easily under a sweater in my cold office.



Comments