New Patterns: 2011 February 22

For crying out loud--I had a three-day weekend and still didn't get any sewing done! Impossible, right? And yet, I did it.

Saturday, I had a lunch date that turned into an all-afternoon . . . I won't say "affair", but it went well. I don't really want to trot out my dating life, sporadic as it is, here, but . . . well, I had a good time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On an eBay note: I scored a Fiesta Lilac cup and saucer for a grand total of $19, which is just short of miraculous. These have small glaze imperfections (factory seconds, in other words) but I don't care. I'd rather pay $20 for decent seconds than $50-$75, period.

I'm one dinner plate away from a five-piece setting. I need to get my teacups out again and take a new picture. I've added five colors since this one. I still need Plum, Evergreen, and the elusive Sapphire. Not holding my breath on Sapphire.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DuBarry 2355B (1940?): I'm estimating the year on this. Is that button bib front awesome or what? The pattern calls for a side zipper, as well, but since the front of the skirt really is in three pieces, I think I could adapt it to open below the waist with a hidden placket and snaps, as well. It seems weird for a dress that buttons down the front to also require a side zipper. (I mean, I know that this is common, but the concept in general is strange to me.)

Comments

Andrea said…
I'm missing my time to sew as well. :( February is going to be a zero-garments-completed month if I don' t do something quick.

I have learned to really like side zippers -- they're faster than buttons, and it's easier to put in a longer one than recommended (I usually need an extra two inches) without even having to think about it. Apparently redundancy in my dress closures does not bother me in the slightest.
I'll take side zippers over, say, back zippers any day. Back zippers are hideous. Of course, I'll always do zippers when they're absolutely necessary, but I'm not convinced that they are in this case. It seems a bit like cheating.