STILL no sewing!

I got all kinds of things done this weekend but, alas, none of them involved sewing. Aargh!

I did about a ton of laundry, made banana bread, visited with some friends who dropped by to pick up a box we'd been keeping for them, learned how to make popcorn on the stove (I can't believe I couldn't do this before; it's the best popcorn ever), and made Baked Corn Supreme, which didn't live up to its name.

What the heck is Baked Corn Supreme, you ask? A friend of ours from eastern Pennsylvania gave us a packet of John Cope's Dried Corn. We kept it for awhile but dried corn is not the staple in Texas that it apparently is in Pennsylvania, so we couldn't decide what to do with it. Finally, as part of our massive pantry-clearing project, we decided to go ahead and try the Baked Corn Supreme recipe that was on the back of the packet. Mom likes corn pudding--and who doesn't love toasted corn, right?--so this sounded promising.

I followed the recipe, I swear.

The top layer was OK but, other than that, this was possibly the most pointless recipe I've ever made. It was like corn pudding gone wrong. A waste of milk and eggs. I even tried topping mine with sharp Cheddar and Crystal and it just couldn't be rescued.

It had a weird, sort of curdled, texture and brown liquid in the bottom of the casserole. It was sweet but didn't have any other flavor interest to redeem it. My first thought was that it needed sausage, jalapeños, and cheese, and an infusion of cornbread batter to help the soggy-corn-kernel texture.

If we ever find ourselves in possession of another packet of this stuff, I'm going to insist we try the Navajo dried corn soup instead. It has pork and chiles. Chiles cover many sins.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went to Half-Price Books on Saturday evening and went a little nuts catching up on my Eighties music. Three U2 albums and Natalie Merchant's Tiger Lily (OK, that one's 1993. Close enough). Laugh if you want to. Ha, ha.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had an awesome day at Jones Park: Four of us, and we were able to add a mandolin and a bass player for our second set, so we sounded much better. The weather started out cold but ended up being beautiful. I still need a different bonnet: I got green check homespun for it and got some discarded tagboard binders from work that I think will make good slats, but I have to get around to sewing it.

I need to start playing music more often again. I've lost my calluses.

I stopped by a huge garage sale on the way home and found some more Fiesta. It looked like somebody was changing their kitchen décor: I got White, Lemongrass, Peacock, and Paprika (which is a new color!), and they had a lot of awful Southwestern kitchen doo-dads for sale.

Comments