Apple Bake with Pecan Streusel

I was out for a walk Friday night and got a whiff of something that smelled like apple pie. And suddenly I really, really, wanted apple pie.

We had a drawer-full of Jonagolds but no pie crusts, and I hate making pie crusts from scratch, and crust is my least favorite part of pie, anyway, so I figured I could just do filling. I got a little carried away (again) and ended up making two apple bakes and a big pot of beef stew today. And then I made popcorn to eat in front of the "Suze Orman Show."

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Use a two-quart casserole.

Filling:
3-4 large apples, cored and chopped (I didn't peel them)
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
dash of salt
cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to taste, or whatever spices you like in apple pie
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Streusel:
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup oats (I used old-fashioned)
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Melt butter and sugar in a large pot. Add apples and water and cook until apples are soft but not pulpy, and have released juice. Season to taste with spices and extract. Allow to cool to "touchably hot". Stir in cornstarch. Spoon apple mixture into casserole.

To make the topping, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add oats, cinnamon, wheat germ, and pecans, and stir until everything is coated. Distribute over top of the apples.

Bake 45 minutes. Serve at room temperature.


Oops! I didn't get a picture fast enough!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mom and I went shopping today for a few food staples--milk, eggs, etc.--and saw that HEB had Opal Gold apples. We'd never heard of Opal Gold apples before so we bought one to try.

They're good. I forgot to take a picture before we ate it, but it was a spectacular, saturated, yellow color. It was super crisp but still juicy. I think the flavor, though, was similar enough to a good Jonagold that I won't knock my food budget out over them in the future, although I might treat myself from time to time.

Comments