How do you describe yourself?

Listening to: U2 mix (War, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby)

I've noticed that a lot of ladies who sew, at least ladies in my general age range*, have taken to calling themselves "sewists". Occasionally, they call themselves "sewers", but that looks funny in print and hasn't caught on as much. (Model horse enthusiasts call themselves "showers", because they show their models, but that also looks funny in print, doesn't it?)

Personally, I am OK with calling myself a seamstress.

At least, my reservations about calling myself a seamstress have to do with personal limitations, and not gender-tagging. Basically, I'm not sure that I can sew well enough to have earned the title of "seamstress." I don't mind that "seamstress" automatically means I'm female, or that it's a term that recalls a time when there were about three respectable professions for women. Being a seamstress was a skilled and decent job, and a lot of women rescued their families' economic situations with a needle and thread; I'm not going to turn my back on it now.

I also think it's interesting that so many "sewists" might then freely describe themselves as "fashionistas". Why isn't "fashionista" as loaded a term as "seamstress"? I come from a family of decided non-fashionistas, who would consider the term "fashionista" to imply that a woman cared about clothes at the expense of other, more substantial, interests. Possibly to the point of financial imprudence. Not very flattering. (I'm not saying that I think of it that way, because I could definitely pitch my tent in the fashionista camp, I'm just trying to demonstrate that the same word can have very different connotations to different people.)

Is it because empowered young women have reclaimed the term "fashionista"? Why not, then, "seamstress"?

*"my general age range" means, in my book, "too old to be my kid, and too young to be my parent."

Comments

Evie said…
I'm totally with you on the use of "seamstress"; not offended at all, but not sure I deserve the title quite yet. I guess I do, though.
Andrea said…
I feel nowhere near "pro" enough to call myself a seamstress. I like "sewer" but as you say, it looks bad in print. I've used "sewist" in a pinch, because it seems to be the most common choice, but it seems ... affected? At any rate, somehow not right. Sewing enthusiast feels about right ... I can't manage to pack whatever I am into a single word.
I think "sewist" seems affected, too. Like, the-lady-doth-protest-too-much, trying too hard to avoid "seamstress". I could go for "sewing enthusiast", though, since that describes my, uh, enthusiasm, without making any unfulfillable promises about my abilities.
While someone may not be very skilled at sewing (atleast not compared to those whom we wish to emulate), I feel that anyone who sews can accurately call themselves a seamstress(seamster?!?). Perhaps not a professional level, but most certainly more than the majority of people out there; who look gape-jawed when you mention you have sewn a shirt or even something as small as a zippered pouch. We may not be masters, or mistresses, but timing is everything. Many of us only have the same amount of experience now as most women in the day had by the time they were seven. Any one, girl or boy, who picks up a needle and thread should feel proud of themselves! It's the trying that matters and we will grow and progress as time goes by. I am not a good blogger, but hopefully a better (non-documented) "sewist", and I truly love the online community that I have found for inspiration!