Simplicity 4714 (1943): Part 6: Pockets

Finally! Progress!

I attached the waistband lining. Most of it, at least--the ends are loose so I'll be able to fold them over after I put the zipper in.


This pattern has unusual pockets. I've actually done these before: I "invented" them a few years ago on one of my beginner-beginner dress projects. Well, I obviously didn't invent them, but the idea occurred to me without my having seen it before in a commercial pattern.

It has what I think of as Colonial pockets. They open through a slit in the skirt. Unlike real Colonial pockets, they're attached to the skirt instead of hanging free from a waist tie, but they're the same shape and have the same type of opening.

Pocket lining #1 and skirt, right sides together with the pocket on the outside of the skirt. Sew through the chalk dots and slash.

Turn pocket to inside of skirt.

Iron. I iron seams open first before folding the fabric into place and ironing it flat. I get a better seam this way.
Iron pocket lining into place. See those nice, crisp, edges?


Because there is so little fabric available to hold the pocket lining/skirt seam, I've decided to topstitch the opening. This will make it a little stiff, yes, but not unbearably stiff, and I think it's worth it not to have that seam pull out right away, especially since the skirt fabric is faux-homespun, which tends to be a loose weave.

So, man the pins. Lots of pins. I'm very big on pinning and basting.


Topstitch.


Cut the second pieces of the pocket lining. These are cut from dress fabric, in this instance.


And pinned over the already-installed pocket lining . . .


. . . but not pinned to the skirt. That part about not pinning to the skirt is very important.


Fold the skirt away from the pocket and sew the two pieces of lining together.


Finish the pocket seams. I finished these by turning the seam allowances inward toward each other and whipstitching the folded edges together. Easy, and it works very nicely, even on curved seams. I do armscye seams the same way.

Yes, that's Seventies orange thread. Nobody's going to see it, anyway.


Here's the pocket slash from the outside. There is one on each side of the skirt front.


I failed to photograph the assembly and attachment of the skirt. It was a royal pain. There was a huge amount of gathering and basting. You have to be careful to baste but not gather the tops of the pockets, and you also have to be careful to line up the pockets in the same place on each side (they match up with the box pleats in the bodice).

I still have to finish the armscyes, install the zipper, finish the left-side seam, finish the waistband lining, and do the hem.

Comments

becki-c said…
Awesome! This looks so David Page Coffin! (one of my favorite books ever written)
I can't wait to see it finished.
MateaTPol said…
Oh you are so detail . IT look very vitange! I like it
Anonymous said…
I like this dress