Wearing History 3015

Oh, my!

I've just gotten notification that I was picked to be a test seamstress for Wearing History 3015, a 1930's Art Deco dress.


I'll have to be diligent: I've got a month to finish it.

I'm already sort of freaking out about the fabric. This one really deserves something more exotic than my usual quilting cotton, but I'm also working on a budget and a tight time frame, so I can't burn through too much time deciding on, finding, and waiting for fabric to arrive in the mail (since there aren't very many fabric stores near me).

I guess if worse comes to worst, I could do a quick version right out of the package, for the sake of the pattern review, and then do a second one later with the fitting tweaked and in a fabric that I have more time to select. Not that I want to do a hack version for the sake of the review, of course, but it might have to be less-than-ideal for me so that I can fulfill my obligation. That is, I don't want my inept attempts at alteration to interfere with the pattern. I can mess it up on my own time, right?

I may also wuss out and just make it in cotton, because I'm used to working with cotton and, again, I don't want my unfamiliarity with another fabric to negatively influence the outcome of the pattern.

The design of this really says "winter dress", especially by Texas standards. I'm planning to do the version on the left since I really don't think I'm a faux-ascot kind of girl. I'm leaning toward a darker color--plum, green, and Havana brown are the lead choices right now--with light-colored buttons and possibly piping or buckstitching along the front panel edges. Ivory on green or brown, silver-gray on plum.

Oh, I'm in such a tizzy!

Here's the Wearing History pattern shop.

Comments

Andrea said…
Wow, that is a nice pattern! It's also the first Wearing History pattern that I've seen that I would buy for myself. The others are nice, just not "me". Agreed that the design does not say "summer on the Gulf Coast", but if your office is like mine, you could probably find a chance to wear it anyhow.
Yeah, I love this. I'm not sure where the heck I'll wear it, but I love it.

Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about where I'll wear things. Maybe I should just be the best-dressed girl in the frozen produce aisle, because I can buy okra just as well in a 1930's day dress as in grubby jeans, right?
Lauren said…
Don't worry! I'm sure your version will be great! No stress :)
I actually think it would be rather cute in cotton!